eLife’s mission has been to innovate and improve the way research is communicated. This led us, in October 2022, to announce a new model for publishing, which opened for submissions on January 31, 2023.
Originally published in January 2023 as an introduction to the new model, this blog was updated in February 2024 to reflect one year of submissions.
We have now been welcoming submissions through the model for a year, we took the opportunity to look back at some of the milestones we have hit during that time.
When you submit your work to us, we assess whether we think we can provide reviews that will be of use to the scientific community.
If we send your research for peer review, your paper will go through:
- Peer review
- Publication as a Reviewed Preprint
It’s up to you what you do with your paper next:
- Revise and submit for publication as new version of your Reviewed Preprint
- Declare your paper the Version of Record
Read more about our new process.
We believe this offers a more transparent, faster and fairer way to publish:
- Following peer review all work will be published on our website, typically within a few weeks, eliminating the traditional accept–/reject decision
- Displaying public reviews and an eLife assessment alongside preprints shifts the focus away from journal titles, by providing valuable insights to help readers assess the research based on its own merits
If you’d like to learn more:
- Hear from authors Rebecca Jordan (University of Edinburgh) and Subhash Kuklarni (Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center) about their experiences of publishing in our new model
- Read the latest Reviewed Preprints from eLife, or sign up to updates to receive the latest research by email
We welcome comments and questions from researchers as well as other journals. Please annotate publicly on the article or contact us at hello [at] elifesciences [dot] org.